Boards of trustees are accountable to parents and caregivers, their local communities, the Minister of Education and the Ministry of Education, other government agencies and the public, for their actions and performance.
The board is the employer of all the school’s staff and is responsible for:
- Setting the school's strategic and policy direction in consultation with parents, staff and students
- Ensuring that the school provides a safe environment and quality education for all its students
- Overseeing the management of curriculum, staff, property, finance and administration
- Constantly monitoring and reviewing progress against targets to inform future planning.
- The board must have a charter, which sets out long-term goals and annual targets determining the school’s priorities.
- The board must monitor and report annually to its community and the Ministry of Education on progress towards those goals and targets.
Extract taken from the Ministry of Education website